MORE than 700 people have been killed in Iran after drinking toxic methanol erroneously thinking it can cure the coronavirus disease.
According to authorities, 728 Iranians died from poisoning between February 20 to April 27.
Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said 5, 011 people had been suffering from methanol alcohol poisoning and that more than 90 had been blinded.
Iran is currently facing the worst coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East with 5, 806 dead and over 91, 000 confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Methanol does not smell or taste in drinks. This causes delayed organ and brain damage.
Symptoms include chest pain, nausea, hyperventilation, blindness, and even coma.