CORONAVIRUS response Chief Implementor and Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. on Friday said that the government is preparing for the possibility of a new surge of coronavirus cases in some areas that might come from the arriving OFWs from affected countries such as the United States, Spain, Italy, and other parts from the Middle East.
Galvez said that the Philippines will be receiving more than 30,000 OFWs arriving in the Philippines, and the influx might trigger a possible second wave of the virus.
Galvez also confirmed that government agencies especially a special task group on the repatriation are now preparing so that overseas workers are immediately tested upon arrival.
He also said that more or less, 600 out of 30,000 newly-arrived overseas workers that the Philippine government has tested for coronavirus infection were found to be positive.
To recall, earlier this week Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque claimed that the country is on its second wave, because the first 3 imported cases are considered as the first wave.
But on Thursday, he has clarified his statement and that the country is still on its first major wave of sustained transmission.
The Malacañang Palace has also clarified Health Secretary Duque’s statement and said that the Philippines is still in the first wave of COVID-19 infections.